About Brugia malayi
The nematode Brugia malayi is a gonochoristic (male-female) filarial parasite, of medical interest because it infects mosquito vectors (Aedes, Anopheles and Culex) and humans, and is phylogenetically representative of other infectious nematodes. Infection of humans by B. malayi causes filariasis, also known as elephantiasis. B. malayi is readily infective in laboratory animals.
Genome Assembly & Annotation
The B.malayi genome was first sequenced at the former TIGR institute and described by Ghedin et al (2007). In 2012 a new genome sequencing, assembly and curation project was conducted on the FR3 strain as a cooperative effort between WormBase and the University of Pittsburgh. An improvement of this assembly by including PacBio and optical mapping data was conducted in 2016, allowing the scaffolding of chromosomes as well as better representation of repetitive regions. This sequenced FR3 strain is available at the Filiarisis Research Reagent Center.
A publication covering the new assembly is in progress, and the consortium reserves itself the right of first publication.
The gene structures are actively curated by WormBase.
- Ghedin E, Wang S, Spiro D, Caler E, Zhao Q, Crabtree J, Allen JE, Delcher AL, Guiliano DB, Miranda-Saavedra D, Angiuoli SV, Creasy T, Amedeo P, Haas B, El-Sayed NM, Wortman JR, Feldblyum T, Tallon L, Schatz M, Shumway M, Koo H, Salzberg SL, Schobel S, Pertea M, Pop M, White O, Barton GJ, Carlow CK, Crawford MJ, Daub J, Dimmic MW, Estes CF, Foster JM, Ganatra M, Gregory WF, Johnson NM, Jin J, Komuniecki R, Korf I, Kumar S, Laney S, Li BW, Li W, Lindblom TH, Lustigman S, Ma D, Maina CV, Martin DM, McCarter JP, McReynolds L, Mitreva M, Nutman TB, Parkinson J, Peregrín-Alvarez JM, Poole C, Ren Q, Saunders L, Sluder AE, Smith K, Stanke M, Unnasch TR, Ware J, Wei AD, Weil G, Williams DJ, Zhang Y, Williams SA, Fraser-Liggett C, Slatko B, Blaxter ML, Scott AL. Draft genome of the filarial nematode parasite Brugia malayi. Science, 2007;317(5845):1756-1760
- The Blaxter Lab, Institute of Evolutionary Biology, School of Biological Sciences, The University of Edinburgh
- The CDC Foundation helps the Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- The World Health Organisation
- Filariasis Research Reagent Resource Center (FR3)
- Wolbachia endosymbiont strain TRS of Brugia malayi at Ensembl Bacteria
|Assembly||Bmal-4.0, GCA_000002995.5, Dec 2015|
|Non coding genes||465|
|Small non coding genes||465|
This widget has been derived from the assembly-stats code developed by the Lepbase project at the University of Edinburgh