WormBase ParaSite Workshops
To help our users make the most of this valuable resource, we are visiting universities and institutes to provide hands-on training sessions.
These workshops will consist of a whole or part day of talks and hands-on practical exercises, centred on this new free resource for helminth genomics. During the session, there will be plenty of time to discuss the application to your own research, face-to-face with the developers of this database.
A typical workshop will consist of the following sessions:
- Introduction to WormBase ParaSite: origin, goals and organisation of the project
- Browsing the website: how to search, find information about genes and use the genome browser
- Comparative genomics: finding orthologues and paralogues
- BLAST: searching using sequence
- Data export with BioMart: advanced search using a web interface, working with lists of data and retrieving sequence in bulk
- Variant Effect Predictor: determining the consequences of variations on genes and transcripts
Workshops are aimed at wet-lab researchers with general knowledge of molecular biology and genomics. No previous experience of using WormBase is required. Attending a workshop is free of charge.
Selection of comments from previous attendees
- "As a novice, I found it a very useful overview of the website. The practical exercises were well pitched to the level I was at and I gained confidence from this workshop. Thank you!!" (Glasgow, February 2016)
- "Friendly and approachable presenters. Thank you." (Edinburgh, March 2016)
- "Very good and useful presentation - I will be using ParaSite a lot more in the future." (Edinburgh, March 2016)
- "It was very informative which allowed me to feel more confident using the WormBase in the future." (Aberystwyth, June 2016)
- "Good ratio of people to tutors. Also didn't assume people knew about the basics." (Aberystwyth, June 2016)
5th September 2016 - Hydra Conference
20th June 2016 - Aberystwyth University
23rd May 2016 - EMBL-EBI Bioinformatics of Plant and Plant Pathogens Course
13th April 2016 - BSP Spring Meeting at Imperial College London
9th March 2016 - University of Edinburgh
24th February 2016 - University of Glasgow
- BSP Spring Meeting 2017 - Tuesday 4th April 2017
Open to all conference delegates - no workshop registration required
If you would like to host a workshop at your university or research institute, please contact us. Courses are generally free of charge for academic institutions, however we may ask for travel, accommodation and subsistence costs of the instructor(s) to be reimbursed by the hosts.
- 5th September 2016 - Molecular and Cellular Biology of Helminth Parasites X, Hydra (40-minute seminar style workshop)
- 20th June 2016 - Aberystwyth University
- 13th April 2016 - BSP Spring Meeting, Imperial College London (60-minute seminar style workshop)
- 9th March 2016 - University of Edinburgh
- 24th February 2016 - University of Glasgow
- 4th September 2015 - Molecular and Cellular Biology of Helminth Parasites IX, Hydra (60-minute seminar style workshop)